My Dream Sports-Tourer?
This last weekend’s crushing disappointment over having my offer for that 2005 ZZR1200 rejected and my jotting down of some motorcycle perspectives came at about the same time. Because, in considering the ZZR, I’ve been thinking about the bike I really want to have.
If I could have a dream sports-tourer, it would have the following characteristics:
- Wet weight: under 600 lbs.
- Great handling
- Hard bags
- 90lb-ft of torque and 140+HP at the rear wheel, enough to give me a 1/4 in the mid 10s.
- Good wind protection, including an adjustable windscreen.
- Handlebars that allow easy mounting of electronics.
- Heated grips
- 2 aux. 12-volt electric outlets
Give me that, and I’ll happily live with a chain drive to save weight.
But what I think I’ve actually just done is designed a K1600GT with a chain drive. Let’s see, wet weight, 703 lbs…
Yeah. That’s what I did.
Maybe that extra 100 lbs isn’t a deal-breaker.
Oh, speaking of the new BMW K1600 bikes, BMW released the prices today. $21,000 for the GT, $23,000 for the GTL. Compared to the inflated price of a Gold Wing, that $23k for the GTL is a steal.