Well, that didn’t last long…

I took the bike into Biggs today, so they could install the rear brake pads they were supposed to install last week. I also had them look at the stereo system, to see if they could install it. They looked at it, and hemmed and hawed, and basically came to the conclusion that they didn’t want to mess with it.

However, I talked to one of the techs, and pointed out the battery tender connection under the tank. He though that I could probably connect to that to power the stereo, although it isn’t switched, so I’d have to unplug it every time I turned the bike off.

Well, I though, That was worth a try. I could velcro the amp inside one of the saddle bags, and run thew wires under the seat. So, I went to Radio Shack and bought some wire connectors, then to AutoZone for a connecter that would mate to the battery tender connector.

As soo as I got home, I spliced the wire connectors, then trotted out to the driveway to connect the amp to the battery tender cable. I plugged it in, just to see if the little LED on the amp would come on. It did, for about one second. Then something inside the amp went POP!, and smoke started curling out of it.

So much for one 200-watt amp. I opened the 5Ah fuse in the amp power cable, and it was fried, the way it was supposed to be, but it obviously didn’t fry before destroying the amplifier. So, now I have two expensive, and completely non-functional speakers.