Will I become a RAT?
That’s the question. I’ve pretty much decided to buy that new 2006 Rocket Classic. But, I can’t buy it until next month, when I can put some cash into the deal.
Chris is talking about taking a two-up trip out to Yuma, and some other places over the winter, when it’s cool enough to ride in the desert during the day. If so, that’s a lot of highway driving, and I’d rather do it on a big cruiser, rather than the Sporty. It’d be both a lot more comfortable, and provide us with a lot more luggage space. Comparatively, that is.
As I figure it, the dealer is willing to clip $1,500 of the price of the Rocket, and toss out all the dealer prep charges. Then they’ll give me $7,000 for the Sporty. I’m willing to toss in $3,000 in cash. That would eat up $4,500 of the $7,000 in negative equity I have on the Sportster. So, I’d have to roll over the extra $2,500 hundred in negative equity onto the Rocket, which would give me a monthly payment of about $350, which is $50 per month more than I’m currently paying on the Sportster.
That’s what I’d like to do, at least. The thing is, I won’t have that $3,000 until the middle of October, so I can’t do the deal until then. The guys at the dealership told me that they’ll keep the paperwork ready if I come back next month.
It’s getting cooler, so the riding season for this year is coming to a close. So, will that 2006 still be there next month? After all it’s a 2006, and it’s been there for two years. On the other hand, the salespeople are trying to push it out the door. So, it’s an open question as to whether someone will buy the bike in the next three weeks.
I’m not gonna go back and look at it any more. But, next month, when I go in, ready to make the deal, if it’s there, I’m gonna do the deal. If it’s not…well, then I guess it wasn’t meant to be.
All I can do is keep my fingers crossed.